Can a doctor put a camera in the bathroom to monitor urine…

Can a doctor put...

Can a doctor put a camera in the bathroom to monitor urine test for patients that are being treated for drug addiction?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

The doctor put a camera in there

2/14/2018
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

If everyone going into the bathroom is aware of the camera then there can be no invasion of privacy, because there is no expectation of privacy when you know you are being filmed. But if those who used the bathroom were not aware of the camera, this would almost certainly give rise to a claim for invasion of privacy and be legally actionable.

Ok, there are signs up as you enter the bathroom reminding patients of the recording, in addition to every patient signing an acknowledgement form giving there consent to their drug screens being monitored.

Thank you. In that case there would be absolutely no expectation that you are not being observed, and thus no privacy violation. It would be considered no different than in-person observation, which is generally permissible.

I hope this clarifies things. Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer