Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I entered into a contract on Friday. I worked yesterday and…

I entered into a...

I entered into a contract on Friday. I worked yesterday and then the client notified me that she could not pay the hourly agreed upon rate. I told her I would work today but did not specify the rate. If I work for the client today, do I waive the contracted rate of pay? I am in Alabama.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know if I should work today and expect the contracted rate of pay since I did not agree to any changes.

2/13/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Do you know why she signed the contract and agreed to pay you the rate, then proceeded to say she could not afford it? Did she tell you she wanted you to come back and work today? I ask because if she said she could not pay it, why would you come back and work unless you have an agreed upon price?

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
I agree. I was in shock. She did not request that I come back and work today.
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
I am not sure why she signed the contract unless she thought I would just agree with her later.

If you have a signed agreement, she would need to pay you for the work which was done. If she has told you now, she can not afford it, you do not want to go back and work since you may not get paid and should only do so if she pays you what you are owed and you agree to modify the contract price and will work for less. Her failure to pay for the work performed is a breach of the contract and you can sue her for the money which she owes you but you do not want to just show up and work unless this can be worked out.

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Thanks

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney
LegalKnowledge, Attorney