Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My friend filed a restraining order against her roommates…

Ok, so my friend...

Ok, so my friend filed a restraining order against her roommates boyfriend because she was getting messages that were harassing her. We called the number from my phone and we heard (what we thought was the roommate and her bf) it turns out that one of the roommates friends had her boyfriend send the messages to my friend. She got the order approved against her roommates boyfriend but since we found out he didn’t do it, what should she do? Would she get in trouble because of the fact that it wasn’t him? Should she tell the court that she found out it wasn’t him?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes the restraining order has been filed and was approved.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

2/13/2018
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your civil law question this evening. I'm attorney Bill assisting you with this matter. If the need for the restraining order is no longer prevalent your friend can file a motion with the court for termination of the order.

The order will be terminated upon a showing that it was issued erroneously or that danger that it was designed to protect from is no longer present.

She needs to file the motion in the same court that granted the restraining order and can contact the clerk's office for information on filing.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit for my assistance to you.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
I was ok with the answer but it never mentioned that I would have to pay $30 for an answer.
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer