Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is there any hope of recovery of monetary losses after being…

Is there any hope...

Is there any hope of recovery of monetary losses after being scammed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I just typed in my question

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. The scammed was online and out of state, so my state doesn't deal with this sort of thing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have some info about them, but who knows if it is true?

2/13/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Was it the "stranded soldier" scam? or the "I love you but have never met you" scam? or the "gold in Africa" scam? or the "I am 16 and Dad caught me sending photos so I need money" scam? or the "lottery/ sweepstakes" scam? or the "overseas relative inheritance" scam?

.

Regardless of which one it was, the truth of it is that any money you sent them is gone.. The FBI simply doesn't have the manpower or interest to follow up on these scammers, who are usually out of the country and outside US jurisdiction.

.

So about the only thing you can do is cut them off, and don't ever get caught up in anything on the internet with people you don't' know and haven't met in person..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
I was afraid that was the case. Even tho I had bank acct names &numbers, and business names, they can all be changed. The scam was that I was online looking for info on how to start an online business.

I hate hearing how these criminals take people in and then steal their money, but they are pros and come up with very convincing stories to lure people in. You can file a report with IC3, which is the FBI internet crime division, but honestly, it won't do any good because they are out of the US, typically in Ghana or other countries where there are dozens of them who sit in buildings all day long at computers throwing out these emails and traps to try to steal your money..

.

I am sorry that the news wasn't better and hope they didn't burn you for too much... I have had some customers lose 5 and 6 figures...

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
Here is your top rating.
Customer reply replied 8 days ago
Thank you.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time, even though the news was lousy..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney
Barrister, Attorney