I want to vacation in Puerto Rico for 5 days. I am a

registered sex offender in Missouri...
I want to vacation in Puerto Rico for 5 days. I am a registered sex offender in Missouri, USA. Can I legally vacation in Puerto Rico, and if so, what do I need to do to be compliant with the law?
2/12/2018
Blake
Blake, Lawyer

Hello, I am a licensed attorney with JustAnswer and I will be happy to help you with this. Please keep in mind that this conversation is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. Please wait one moment while I review this matter for you.

Thank you for patience.

According to Puerto Rico law, which is very relaxed in dealing with sex offenders, you have to register there if you are intending to make PR your permanent or temporary residence of more than 10 days. See: PR Code 4, § 536c. Thus, temporary visitors of under 10 days do not have to register. Furthermore, because PR has such weak laws on sex offender registration, failure to register after 10 days is a misdemeanor if they even catch you and they do not have most of the restrictions found in the states such as distance from parks or schools.

Does this answer your question?

Sort of. Do I need to inform the chief law enforcement officer in my area before leaving ?

Sorry for the delay, I just saw your response.

Generally speaking, you do not need to inform law enforcement in your state that you are leaving, unless you are under active supervision (such as probation or parole). With that being said, however, you should notify your local registry office of your trip just to make sure that you are being proactive about being forthcoming about your location. You can easily contact the Missouri sex offender registry using this contact information: http://www.mshp.dps.mo.gov/CJ38/contactUs.jsp

As I posted above, Puerto Rico's statute allows you to vacation there for up to 10 days without registering your trip. However, there is no reason that you cannot contact them to inform them, just to be very safe. As you probably know, the penalties for failure to report can be heavy and include a maximum of 10 years in prison. You can contact Puerto Rico to register your trip by using this information: http://sor.pr.gov/ContactUs.aspx

I would suggest that you contact both your home state and Puerto Rico (preferably by email so there is a written record) and describe your travel plans. There is nothing to lose by doing this, and you will probably gain some peace of mind by knowing that nobody can accuse you of failing to report anything.

Does that answer your question?

this answers my question. Thank you.

Great, I'm very glad to hear that, and I apologize for the delayed responses - it has been a busy evening over here.

I wish you all the best, ***** ***** hope you have a great vacation.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you are satisfied with this answer, please press the “accept” button now and leave a 5 star rating so that I may be given credit for the service that I provided you.

Once you press “accept” and leave a positive rating to this answer, this question will lock open and you will be able to return here at any time to ask me follow-up questions for free, which I will be happy to answer.

If there is any way I can provide better service, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Blake
Blake, Lawyer

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and generous tip. Once again, I sincerely ***** ***** all the best with this.

Blake
Blake
Blake, Lawyer