I need some information regarding defamation. The State of.

I need some information...

I need some information regarding defamation.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

The State of Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything...thank you.

2/10/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is you question about defamation?

I would like to look at filing a complaint regarding slander.

Thank you for your reply.

We cannot represent you, we can provide you information about defamation, which is what you said you needed. So, tell us what you need to know so we can provide you the information.

Ok, thank you. What are the requirements to file a slander lawsuit?

Thank you for your reply.

According to the WA courts, a private individual, who is neither a public figure nor official, may recover actual damages for a defamatory falsehood, concerning a subject of general or public interest, where the substance makes substantial dangers to reputation apparent, on a showing that in publishing the statement, the defendant knew or, in the exercise of reasonable care, should have known that the statement was false, or would create a false impression in some material respect. See: Taskett v. KING Broadcasting Co., 86 Wn.2d 439, 456-59, 546 P.2d 81 (1976)

So, to file a suit for defamation, those are the elements you need to prove. Publishing means making a the statement to third parties.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.