I had Solar Panels installed on my house with a ten year…

Customer Question
I had Solar Panels...

I had Solar Panels installed on my house with a ten year warranty. Just found out after two years the panels have never worked and the company that installed them failed to secure the proper permits that I was charged for. So I am now the proud owner (not) of a 44,000 dollar loan to pay for said panels that have not reduced my electric bill one iota and the company refuses to answer my emails or phone calls. I feel like I'm a victim of fraudulent business practices. What are my legal options ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing yet. There is a clause in the contract that states any disparaging remarks can void the warranty. I have another company on standby to fix the damage but that's another 24 K and that will void the warranty also. Numerous complaints filed by others with BBB to no avail.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That will get them started

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
2/6/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you

with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm very sorry to hear about this.

This seems like an issue of unfair business practices which could give you some compensation if you were to bring a lawsuit.

1.To establish that there was an unfair practice, there must be a representation, omission or practice that is likely to mislead the consumer;

2. The representation is examined from the perspective of a consumer acting reasonably in the circumstances; and

3. The representation, omission or practice must be material enough to affect the consumer’s conduct or decision, even though no actual reliance is required.

So, in this case, it appears as if they made a representation that they worked and sold them to you with that promise. The fact that they do not work suggests that this is an unfair business practice.

The BBB is a good start, but you should also contact the attorney general's office in your state to find out what consumer protection remedies are available to you as well.

What other questions did you have for me regarding this?