Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Moved My father out of his rental Dec 1st, He passed Jan…

Customer Question
Hi Moved My father...

Hi Moved My father out of his rental Dec 1st, He passed Jan 1st. Property mgt. returned $400.00 of $3500.00 deposit. I dispute the deductions 11 year rental Paint and carpet $1200.00. They will no longer deal with Me 'EXECUTOR ONLY". Simple probate will deliver Affidavit to collect personal property to them Monday 40 days after. Will they be required to deal with Me then ???

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No trying to negotiate stay out of court. Assets small simple probate is ok.

Submitted: 17 days ago.Category: Legal
2/6/2018
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 17 days ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 17 days ago

No you would need to open regular probate.Honestly I am not sure this is worth it to open but you can do it pro se, but there are filing fees.Anytime there is a claim due the estate or you need to sue them in small claims you need to be appointed by the estate as personal representative in Superior Court here in California.

Forms and self help for regular probate

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/de111.pdf

http://www.alameda.courts.ca.gov/Pages.aspx/Preparing-the-Petition

ActionFee

Filing Fee (each plaintiff): Complaint, Third Party Complaint, Petition or Other Action, Motion to Intervene as Plaintiff (plus $20.00 security fee for each civil case (G.L.c. 262, § 4A) and a $15.00 surcharge (G.L.c. 262, § 4C))$240.00

You have to decide if it is worth it here .The fees will eat up any recovery if you get one.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
what happened to simple probate or is that only ok for assets not disputed ?
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 17 days ago

That would work but it won't allow to pursue a claim by the estate or sue on behalf of the estate.If it was a bank account, car or something similar it would work.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
well then based on your advice I will keep trying to bluff the property mgt. company. if I get stuck will probably drop the claim for rental deposit. thanks
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 16 days ago

Sounds like a plan here, thanks for rating.

Ray, Lawyer