Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My parents own a commrcial building and one of their

Customer Question
My parents own a...

My parents own a commrcial building and one of their tenements is a family friend. A girl that works for him repeatedly cussed me out in public. What legal avenues do I have to get her out of my building

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arkansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s about it

Submitted: 16 days ago.Category: Legal
2/6/2018
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 16 days ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am going to assume that she does not threaten you in any way, but is simply rude. If so, then the best way to get her out of the building is to video her doing this, and then to call the police to file a harassment/public noise complaint. Then the police will come out and may charge her. While this would not necessarily drive her out, it may have her refrain from such actions in the future.

But otherwise, being rude to someone - even to the point of cursing - is not illegal per se unless the police decide she crossed the line into harassment/nuisance (hence, proof via video tape to show the police).

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
I also work in the building and she works next door. Would a restraining order work?

Yes, if she is harassing/threatening you. This becomes subjective. You'd have to show that she threatened you with violence. I am not sure what exactly she is saying to you, of course. So it depends on this.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
It’s happened on several occasions, provoked by her. I would see this as harassment rather than a threat. I would have to have video documentation tho?

Yes. Because without video, the police are unlikely to do anything but talk to her.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
a divorce is the only situation in which you don’t need video documentation? Witness testimony isn’t a good enough case? What makes me more worried some is she’s with guys and I feel as tho it will provoke a physical altercation.

It would be your word versus hers. The police officers would have to make a decision then and there. If you call in a complaint without proof, and they go and knock on her door, and she acts very calm and collected with them and says that she does not know what you are talking about and that you've been harassing her, then YOU risk being charged.

So yes, proof is a good way to go.

Just because someone looks mean is not enough to have his girlfriend and him kicked out. He actually has to threaten you.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
would written testimony from the bar bouncers work? And just for confirmation if the restraining order goes through. She couldn’t work next door?

would written testimony from the bar bouncers work?

It is all up to the officers who respond. A LIVE person is much better than some affidavit which the officers do not even know who wrote it.

And just for confirmation if the restraining order goes through. She couldn’t work next door?

Depends. The Judge may still allow it but may order her to take REASONABLE steps to avoid contact with you, such as not being there at certain hours, etc.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Sticky situation. I don’t really see any reasonable steps considering I work 8 - 5.She works a t-shirt shop I work at a flooring business. Would a reasonable step be making her work at a different location aka out of my parents building?

That depends on the Judge, I am afraid.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Okay thank you for your help. Just fo fun:With 2 bouncer testimonies that work at the bar, a character reference from the police chief (family friend) and 5 testimonies from friends.What do you say the odds are here, purely speculation of course

Honestly, not good unless the officers specifically see clear evidence. So claims from friends and acquaintances after the fact are not very good.

Ely, Counselor at Law