Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My association donated a 15000 dollar plaque to a

Customer Question
My association donated a...

My association donated a 15000 dollar plaque to a university. A donor Deed certificate was never issued. I'm asking the university to provide a donor deed certificate with stipulations the plaque can not be sold or loaned to any other entity. The university is dragging their feet. I say ownership was never transferred without the certificate. Am I correct?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

A request by me as General Secretary of the Association to draft the certificate was made. A meeting is scheduled 2/20 but this should have been a slam dunk and I fear they are going to refuse and declare they own it without the certificate

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Legal
2/6/2018
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 19 days ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry, but no. Allow me to explain why:

1) There is no such thing as a donor deed certificate. Or rather, this is something voluntary. The giftee (one who receives the gift) does not have to provide such a certificate unless there is a written contract between gifter and giftee stating that the giftee must. And, I assume no contract exists stating so.

2) Second, unless the contract (or donor gift certificate, if issued) specifically restricted the gift, then the giftee has FULL OWNERSHIP of the gift and can do whatever they want with it.

As such, the university does not have to provide such a certificate. And they are free to do what they want with the gift unless a written stipulation that they signed states otherwise.

I am sorry.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law