Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My father lives on the other side of the state, MO. He

Customer Question
My father lives on...

My father lives on the other side of the state, MO. He helped me purchase a car years ago and the title said 'and'. I'm purchasing a new car and my father has given me oral consent to sign his name to trade it in. It's that legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Missouri. 2009 is the car's year

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Meaning?

Submitted: 12 days ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/6/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 12 days ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Unfortunately that is not sufficient as the buyer and the state will not know that verbal agreement was given (that can result in fraud which is why that is not acceptable).

As such the co-owner would be required to execute a power of attorney if they are willing to allow the co-owner to sell the car for them.

This is a binding document if relied upon by a third party (ie the buyer).

The person with power of attorney (the agent) has a fiduciary duty to act in good faith towards the principal so for example the agent would be required to get a fair price and to promptly provide the principal with the proceeds (their share).

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer