I'm seeking help for a situation in Frisco, TX (Denton

Customer Question
Hello - I'm seeking...

Hello - I'm seeking help for a situation in Frisco, TX (Denton County). My son has been detained and taken to a mental health facility in South Dallas as of last Monday night (1/29) and is still there. He was taken there after an incident at home with his mother and her live-in fiance, where my son was acting out and became extremely upset. He apparently pulled a knife out of the kitchen drawer and was threatening to cut himself with it after being punished. Police were called and he was tazed by the police and handcuffed and taken to the facility, where he remains as of today (a full week). We've been told he'll likely be released from the facility tomorrow, but we aren't certain as they tend not to give any information they aren't required to. Anyway, his mother apparently received a phone call this morning from a detective with Frisco PD stating that my son will likely be charged by the state and arrested upon his release from the facility. My question is this: is it worth our while to try to pre-emptively stop this from happening, and if so, would hiring an attorney help in any way to stop the process, or at least minimize the time that the police are able to hold my son? Please advise - thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I'm not sure - it must have been reported or filed, otherwise the detective wouldn't have contacted my ex-wife, would they??

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My son has been diagnosed with ADHD several years ago and has been on a variety of different medications. We believe that the medications he has been taking may have been mis-prescribed and that they're doing him more harm than help. He's had struggles at school and some disciplinary issues, but nothing to the extent of criminal assault. He's been at this facility for a week, heavily medicated, almost to the point of sedation, and is a shadow of his normal self. I feel that taking him to jail after he's released from the health facility will do more harm than good.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
2/6/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes, hiring an attorney would be helpful, but it would not stop the arrest. Having an attorney before his release because the attorney will be able to prearrange his release from jail, which would mean that he would spend as little time in jail as possible and get bond arranged. He can be held in jail otherwise until the court sets bond and you pay bond to get him released.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.