I am a renter and my landlord is in foreclosure and property…

I am a renter...

I am a renter and my landlord is in foreclosure and property is up for auction on 8 Feb what are my rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes received notification from BWW attorney

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is our previous lease now breached?

2/3/2018
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. Where you served and named in the foreclosure action? If so, the judge will have the ability, after the foreclosure sale, to issue a writ of possession to the new owner. the new owner will be required to file a motion and get a writ issued before you will be forced to vacate. If you were not named in the foreclosure action and have been living there long before the foreclosure action was started, you have the right to stay. the new owner will need to take steps to evict you after he acquires title.

Are you still paying rent? You should not be paying rent to the prior owner - who is not paying his mortgage.

Have I answered all you questions?

If so, please be sure to accept my response and post a positive rating.

one other question what about my security deposit held by management company?

You need to get it back from your landlord. H was required to keep it in a separate account but I doubt he did. Guessing that money is long gone but you do have claim for it against your landlord.

Have I answered all you questions?

If so, please be sure to accept my response and post a positive rating

Thank you

You are welcome.

A 5-star rating would be appreciated.

Lori
Lori, Attorney