My husband and I are considering doing a revocable trust.

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I are considering doing a revocable trust. Does that protect your assets in the event of long term care cost? We have several rental properties. Or do we have to put our properties in our children's names?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure what you are asking? We have been landlords for 14 years and just follow the laws.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are currently healthy.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
2/2/2018
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You would need to either put them in the kids names or an irrevocable trust.A revocable one does not shield them from medicaid.You really need an elder law lawyer here to help you shelter the assets and create the irrevocable trust.

You want a NAELA lawyer locally to help you with this.They can help you avoid medicaid problems.Its the National Association of Elder Lawyers..

http://innaela.org/members/

You are smart to deal with this now and resolve it.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Is there an NAELA lawyer on this site that I can continue my questions with?

I can answer any questions you have just ask.

No I do not want to talk by phone and I do not want to spend that kind of money yet.

Ask anything you have here,thanks