How does a Down syndrome male can consent to sec. New

How does a Down...

How does a Down syndrome male can consent to sec

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

What do you mean

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have bipolar disorder I have a full time job an

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/23/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

People with Down's Syndrome cover a wide range of funtionality, and there is no single rule regarding consent to sexual activity.

It is not illegal, in and of itself. The issue of consent has to be handled in a case-by-case scenario. Due to the larger number of questions so be asked. Did they know what they were getting in to, Was there abuse in involved, Were they coerced, etc. Legally it is a huge grey area. Was the partner a caregiver, or in a position of authority...

No, just somebody met in public, and a great friendship developed

Well, take it slow. The issue of consent is fraught with problems where where only one of the parties has Down's. Sex is not illegal, in and of itself, but the issue of consent is sticky.

What is the meaning of consent by law

The ability or capacity to give legal consent.

how do you know if the Down syndrome guy is giving his consent? Should he be asked certain questions to ensure he knows what he's consenting to!

It would depend on his level of functioning. Is he employed? Living on his own?

Employed--living in housing for independent people with disabilities. There is no nursing or assistance there.

If he is living on his own and employed then he probably could legally consent.

I won't rush. He gets a little flirty, but I'm falling for him

Take it slow and realize you are in an area where the law is hazy and you may have liability exposure if things take the wrong turn.

Right. Thanks for your advice

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney