I have an invasion of privacy lawsuit question. Florida

I have an invasion...

I have an invasion of privacy lawsuit question

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

1/23/2018
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for contacting justanswer. I'm attorney Bill assisting you with your invasion or privacy question. Have you filed anything in court yet ?

What are the circumstances of the breach of privacy?

Attorney Bill

I believe my wife accessed my phone while I was sleeping. She took photos of the phone with some photos displayed. I know it was her because the EXIF metadata of the photo taken shows a date and time when I was at home with her.
She held on to the photos for almost 18 months and abandoned the marriage last month. I’d like to sue for damages.

Thanks for your follow up.

To bring a privacy suit on Florida under these terms there must be all of the following:

1.Your wife must have been expressly disallowed from accessing your phone during the marriage.

2. she must have violated that expectation and understanding

3.The violation of this understanding must be highly offensive

Oppenheim v. I.C. Sys., Inc., 695 F. Supp. 2d 1303, 1308 (M.D. Fla. 2010)

SO if the access was clearly prohibited and the violation is very destructive you could sue.

If you are considering suing you can sue in the circuit court and should contact a local attorney to pursue this action.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit for my time.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS is much appreciated.

Attorney Bill

The phone was password ***** So she either guessed my password ***** literally used my finger while I was sleeping to get past Touch ID.Is this a criminal offense and if so what is the penalty?Could I sue damages to equal what she’s potentially trying to get in alimony?
I don’t think the legal precedent you sent me has anything to do with my case (Oppenheim v. I.C. Sys., Inc., 695 F. Supp. 2d 1303, 1308 (M.D. Fla. 2010))

Yes you can sue for damages and the test for infliction of emotional distress is summarized in the judgment I pasted above:

"I]n measuring the unacceptable conduct upon which a claim is made," causes of action for invasion of privacy "share certain similarities" with claims for intentional infliction of emotional distress. Id. at 1062 (applying intentional infliction of emotional distress standard to determine offensiveness of conduct in intrusion claim). "The threshold test to be followed in assessing behavior claimed to constitute the `intentional infliction of emotional distress,' is whether such behavior is `so outrageous in character, and so extreme in degree, as to go beyond all possible bounds of decency.'"

The case defines many aspects of privacy law

Criminally it would amount to a hacking crime or unauthorized access to a computer.

You would need to file a police report for investigators to investigate your complaint.

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
OK thank you