I am trying to do an orginal answer via efile for texas and…

I am trying to...

I am trying to do an orginal answer via efile for texas and I don';t iknow what "I ask gthe court for general relief menas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in TX family court?

We have a divorce case finalized 9-13-16 with me as the residential parent he has filesd a citiation for parent child relationship modification I am trying to respond ut it si so confusing

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I live in Indiana but he filed in texas where we both use to live he put on the paper work that he still lives there but he lives and works in chicago he lied and used his dads address

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much does this cost? im a single mom of 3 and am using a public library to try to do this i just want to make sure im using the right forms

1/22/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This just basically means that if you left anything out or if there is some kind of relief that the court deems proper in addition to what you're asking for, you want that added to any specific relief you may have.

What other questions did you have for me regarding this?

Ok I am trying to efile my response to the citiation he sent me
I live in Indiana and can not walk into the court and file the paperwork nor do i have time to mail it in.
which paper work do i need to efile because i am having to manually enter all of the information. I can't afford an attorney. I am a single mom of three kids.
Do I use the Respondent's Original Answer or the Petitioners? Because i am the orgnial filer for the divorce but he is the filer of this modification

Understood. If I understand you perfectly, he is the one that filed for a modification of the child custody and had it served on you, correct?

Ok, you're going to file the Respondent's Original Answer since you're the respondent and you're answering his petition.

Ok, Also He no longer lives in texas however used his dads address. I want to appear infornt of a judge to ask to move our case to Indiana where the children live and to modify child support. How do I ask for a court date?
After I file this answer what is the next step?

So, do all of the children live in IN with you?

I am the residential parent awarded by the court
He pays child support
He hasn't come to see his kids since October I made him take them for 22 hours on Thanksgiving
The kids all go to school in Indiana and all of their doctors and dentist are here as well

I see. You should file your answer, but you should also make a motion to dismiss the case because the court in TX doesn't have jurisdiction. The only exception would be if TX was the state that entered the original custody order.

A motion to dismiss is relatively simple., but will require some work. You should state the fact that the children don't live in TX, cite Rule 91a of Texas' civil code (usually available online), explain that because there is no jurisdiction, the court has to dismiss the case, file it, serve it, then wait for the judge's decision..

The orginal court order is out of texas
We lived in texas when I filed for divorce and it was finialized. 9/13/16
He moved to Chicago 8/1/16
we went before the Attorney General for Child Support and was granted that in 2/1/17
The kids and I moved to Indiana 8/1/17
he filed for modification of current court order 12/13/17

I see what you mean. The court may still hear and probably will; however, if it is too inconvenient because you're a single parent living thousands of miles away, request the motion to dismiss.

Ok. Am I allowed to type up and sign current information:
Kids no longer live in texas
Both parents no longer live in texas
ask court for dismissal
Also which court would I file contempt of court because he is not helping pay half of child care cost as ordered by the court in our original child support order?

To you first question, yes, you can type that up. If you were going to file a contempt of court, you could file it in IN. You could attach the TX judgment and cite that because have been living in IN for at least six months, jurisdiction is proper there.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Awesome! This stuff is so scary when you don't understand. I don't want my kids up rooted again and their routine all messed up again. If he would just come see them like he is suppose to we wouldn't have to go through all this. Ugh!!!! I've been making myself sick over this. thank you so much for clearing this up for me!!!!!

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

I already did thanks again!!!

You bet!