Is it possible to patent an app? I keep getting different…

Is it possible to patent...
Is it possible to patent an app? I keep getting different answers via google search. I understand that the code itself is copyrighted. But is it possible to protect the idea after the app is completed and/or process regardless of the code being the same. Basically what I’m trying to prevent is a bunch of Angry Bird and Copycat games.
1/22/2018
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

No, apps cannot be patented. The code for the app itself is protected by copyright law, as you pointed out. But a patent would not likely apply to an app. However, if your app introduced a new method of interaction, then it may be possible to patent that method. For example, let's say you developed an app that has a unique method of interacting with the stock market. You would copyright the app itself, and patent the method in which the app interacts with the stock market. Does that make sense?

Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Could you elaborate on what you mean by “unique method of interacting with the stock market”? Or maybe I can provide an example, I’m pretty much grabbing phone data, image data, processing and returning data to the user. Individually the technology has always been there. But collectively its never been done.

Hi again.

What I mean by a unique method of interacting with the stock market, let's say you invented an app that would connect directly with some system that provides to the minute stock prices. I'm just making that up, but the point is that the method of using the app would be at issue, and not just the code to make it happen.

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney