The Company I work for has issued a warning to me for

The Company I work...

The Company I work for has issued a warning to me for failure to follow direct instructions. I am not signing it. They state that there were gaps in my performance and this caused a loss to the company of $1100. i did take care of everything I found at the stores but, a month or so later found more product. Which I notified the company of. Because I was required to have everything out of the stor e by 31 Oct., The Company is refusing to re-imburse my Company for the product found in December. Now my Boss has issued me a warning and has said that they will deduct $500 from by incentive(Bonus) in Feb to assist in covering the loss. Can they legally do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I work in Missouri, Nebraska and Kansas but, the Company I work for is in Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will, I am fulltime

1/22/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Sure

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

I want to ask a few questions: when yous say you got everything out of the store, what does that mean exactly?

Also, were these things that you could have reasonably found back when you were clearing the things out?

I was tasked to submit paperwork and remove all product from the store. I checked every possible place. I took care of what
I found. Them 6 weeks later my 1 store put a box with more product in my cubby. At another store it was put on a rack. They could have been there before but, I did not find them. And I looked every place possible

Understood . The employer is based in Texas, but you're in MO, correct?

Ok, the downside is that under MO law, your employer can deduct your paycheck for things like this. The state of MO says, "An employer may deduct funds from an employee’s wages for cash register shortages, damage to equipment, or for similar reasons. Deductions can be made from an employee’s wages as long as the deductions do not take the employee’s wages below the required minimum hourly wage rate."

Missouri law does require employers to give their employees written notice of a reduction of wages at least 30 days before the reduction is to take effect. (RSMo. 290.100.)

Your best bet to defend against this though is that you substantially performed your job and unless they can prove that they lost $1,100 in damages, then they have no reason to reduce your benefits. If you looked everywhere, but they still deduct, you could file a complaint with your department of labor about this issue to recover your missing money.

What other questions did you have for me about this?

That is all.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer