Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I filed a lawsuit against a dealership for odometer fraud my…

I filed a lawsuit...

I filed a lawsuit against a dealership for odometer fraud my case is set for Bench trial in February and now my lawyer is asking me for 10000 to 15000 just for the trial I have already paid around 5000 is this normal?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure

1/22/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Did you sign anything with the lawyer when started? Have you been paying hourly? Is it on contingency fee basis?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hourly
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He told me it was going to be about 3000$ for the case
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe I signed an hourly contract
The lawyer should identify how many hours expected and the rate for the time. Normally paid after invoices so lawyer should not now change the arrangement and seek a large amazing upfront without services rendered yet.If needed, martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Lawyer also cannot mislead about price and then seek to price gauge.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could he be asking for more because he knows we will win the case?
Usually not. The fees should be tied to hours of work anticipated.
Demand an explanation in light of prior estimate!
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
yo don't have any idea why he would be asking this much when we are so close to the bench trial.
Either lawyer under estimated earlier intentionally or mistakenly and now either wants to make up for it or is acting in bad faith and seeking unreasonable fees.
I cannot guess as to his real motives but if told one price you should not now be directed to be several times that amount.
Good luck. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yed
Thanks. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy new year!
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
INFOLAWYER, Attorney