This is a question for a litigation lawyer. my question is i…

This is a question for...
This is a question for a litigation lawyer. Hi my question is i have a open lawsuit with the city DEP my business was in the sandy storm and lost a lot of our merchandise. It was an online business. They wanted so many documents and such and video . It has been a long time that this has been going on: to make a long story short . The lawyer is saying that we have to go to trail. I do not want to go to trail. Can I just drop the case and forget about the lawsuit.
I live in New York
1/20/2018
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

As long as they have not asserted counterclaims, you can dismiss your lawsuit. If they filed counterclaims, dismissing your suit is not smart since removal of your claims would put their counterclaims on the forefront and make them plaintiff.

Don’t understand

So if they filed claims against you then you cannot just dismiss it.

No claims are against me now if I drop it can they then make claims against me

Yes, they could. You might want to discuss a mutual release of claims and settlement.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Thank you