Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live with my mom and step dad and I pay monthly and he…

Customer Question
I live with my...

I live with my mom and step dad and I pay monthly and he wants me and my kids gone so he is threatening to cut the power off tomorrow

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He called the power company to have it cut off tomorrow if we don’t leave

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/20/2018
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your landlord-tenant question today. I'm attorney Bill offering support and assistance in relation to the unlawful eviction.

If you are paying monthly rent you have a month to month tenancy that can needs to be legally ended according to law rather than being locked out illegally.

The notice periods are the following:

"§ 42-14. Notice to quit in certain tenancies. A tenancy from year to year may be terminated by a notice to quit given one month or more before the end of the current year of the tenancy; a tenancy from month to month by a like notice of seven days; a tenancy from week to week, of two days. Provided, however, where the tenancy involves only the rental of a space for a manufactured home as defined in G.S. 143-143.9(6), a notice to quit must be given at least 60 days before the end of the current rental period, regardless of the term of the tenancy. (1868-9, c. 156, s. 9; Code, s. 1750; 1891, c. 227; Rev., s. 1984; C.S., s. 2354; 1985, c. 541; 2005-291, s. 1.)"

You may be entitled to a longer notice period if you have a written lease.

Thereafter the landlord needs to start a formal eviction process in the local court.

Failure to apply for an eviction from the court means that your eviction is unlawful and you can sue the landlords for an illegal eviction.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as needed.

In return remember to rate positively today.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS is much appreciated.

Best

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer