Wondering what our rights are when buying a vehicle from a…

Wondering what our rights...

Wondering what our rights are when buying a vehicle from a private seller.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Washington State and its a 2006 Chrysler 300.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

That's what we attempted to do today. The car was purchased in Nov. 4, 2017 and tabs expired in Dec. I tried to purchase the tabs on line however I was unable to since the title had not been transferred yet. We went to a local licensing office only to find out that there is a $125 penalty fee due to the time lapse between date of sale and today (my fault) and in addition the car needs an emissions test. The service person assisting us informed us that the car had NOT passed the emissions test prior to purchase and we would have to go get emissions done, take the failed receipt to a mechanic, pay $150 for a waiver then return to the registration office to pay $649 to make the car legal. The service person at the registration office suggested to get a new "bill of sale" and change the sale date to avoid the penalty fee. So we are trying to figure out how to contact the seller for that but I would like him to also pay for the $150 mechanic fee should the car fail emissions again since he did not disclose that information upon purchase.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

My contact information is: ************ ************* email: *************

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of now.

1/20/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

WA does not impose an affirmative obligation on the seller to ensure the car will pass emission testing unless the contract specifically states that;

If the seller represented the car was in a certain condition and the facts indicate otherwise, the buyer may sue for breach of contract and misrepresentation; normally damages are those that are reasonably foreseeable and proximately caused- so for example, the cost of getting the car in the condition in which it was represented or per the terms of the contract.

Otherwise if there are no representations then normally the buyer beware doctrine (caveat emptor) applies.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Thank you for your expertise and prompt response.Sincerely, *****

You are most welcome;

I noticed there is personal information such as your name and so I sent a request to the moderators to remove that personal information.
Thank you and take care

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer