Is this for new jersey, No, It’s a jr car theft, New jersey2…

Customer Question
Is this for new...

Is this for new jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It’s a jr car theft

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

New jersey2 Years okd

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/20/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What is your question?

This is private right
Hello

No. It is a public website. However your name does not appear on this post. You have a generic JACUSTOMER username. So if you keep any names out of your question, it cannot be traced to you.

My phone is(###) ###-####

YOur payment for the call did not go through, and I cannot call you until the site authorizes it.

Please state your question. Are you being charged with a car theft or are you the victim of a crime?

No

I cannot help you unless you ask your question. If you're not willing to do so, please contact customer service at***@******.*** for a refund of your deposit.

Question is if I have a family member who had permission to use my car but they rented it out for illegal substance and the person was supposed to bring the car back a week ago and they didn’t. Will the family member get in trouble

Thank you for the reply. Give me a few minutes to type a response.

They were supposed to bring the car back after 3 hours they shut the phone off. I own the car.

It's possible that the family member could get in trouble for having rented out the car, if the state could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that when this was done he or she knew that the person he was renting it to was going to use it to traffic in controlled substances. For that matter, if you gave your family member permission to use your car knowing what he was going to do with it, then you could get in trouble for that too.

Again, however, the state would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you and/or your family member were part of the drug trafficking and if they felt they couldn't prove it, you wouldn't be charged.

No of course not I thought he was going to work. It’s just that this happened before years ago. Not with me but other family menebers they never got in trouble before for this more concerned about the person who didn’t bring car back. But recently when this happened the cop said that the person who rented it out could get in trouble because u can’t do that. Last time he rented it out for cash and purchased from someone else. So I don’t know if that made it different.

I wouldn't rely on the police officer. They are not lawyers.

It all comes down to whether the family member knew the car was going to be used for something illegal. If the police suspect that he did and think they can make it stick, he can get in trouble.

Well idk then I need to report my car stolen
I don’t know what to do

If your car was stolen, you should report it, unless you want to wait and see if the person brings it back to the family member. I am assuming he knows who he gave the car to and where to find him.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

I reported it yesterday
They said maybe some tickets my family meneber

Good, as in your situation, I don't see that you had much choice, even it means your family member faces some consequences. You didn't authorize him to rent the car out and reporting it distances you from any drug involvement if that is or becomes an issue with the case.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.