I have posted a statement about a student on Leigh High

Hi, I have...

Hi, I have posted a statement about a student on Leigh High School Marching band facebook page my son was part of sometime last December stating that she bullied my son by making antisemitic remarks to him and being against her getting and award for excellent leadership in the band. Also I said that the band director made antisemitism flourish by doing nothing about my complaints and awarding her. There was also recently published Leigh High School Newsletter article about antisemitic behavior of other students in the band. Leigh High school principal is in communication with me about this. I do not have a proof since my son does not go around tape recording people. He was dating this girl for about a month. She kept telling him to keep relationship secret. i encouraged my son to tell her parents. He did and after that she told him she cannot date him because her father does not want her to date non-Christians. i msg the parents being very upset. They did not respond. The school did not and is not helping. There is more to this story. I would like to know if I can be legally liable for posting on facebook.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And how long has this been going on?

California. That happened last year. Then the girl was promoted in the band to a leadership position in the summer and I told band director then that she should not have been but he did nothing about that

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that i know of

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I cant think of it right now

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/20/2018
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Ok thank you.

I am sorry that in 2017/2018 you are dealing with this type of issue. That being said, You can post anything that is truthful.

"Like other states, California recognizes that truth is a valid defense against defamation of character charges." http://kellywarnerlaw.com/california-defamation-laws/

If what you stated is true you have freedom of speech and you have no liability.

Do I need to have a proof?

That what you stated was true?

"A defamatory statement is a false statement of fact that causes injury or damage to someone. But there are a few arguments that, if raised and proven by the defendant, can defeat a defamation claim. In this article, we'll discuss some of the most common defenses and privileges that are used in response to a defamation lawsuit." https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/privileges-defenses-defamation-cases.html

If that is what you heard or became aware of it is the truth. They would need to prove that you are making false statements.

"Simply because someone defames another person does not mean that a lawsuit will be successful. There are a number of defenses to defamation claims. If the defamer can successfully claim one of these defenses, he/she might be able to win the case despite the defamation.

The major defenses to defamation are:

• truth
  • the allegedly defamatory statement was merely a statement of opinion
  • consent to the publication of the allegedly defamatory statement
  • absolute privilege
  • qualified privilege
  • retraction of the allegedly defamatory statement.

Let’s look at some of these defenses in a little more detail.

Truth

Truth is an absolute defense to defamation. Remember that defamation is a false statement of fact. So, if the statement was accurate, then by definition it wasn’t defamatory." https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/privileges-defenses-defamation-cases.html

I would like the time to read the info in the link you have provided

This will remain posted for you to read or copy and paste to a word document.

Oh ok.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

Thank you for your assistance . I will rate your service. I am still not sure how I prove that what I am saying is true? It is our word against theirs.

You are most welcome.

If other people heard the same things they are witnesses.

It can also be your opinion that the remarks were anti-Semitic.

The major defenses to defamation are:

truth the allegedly defamatory statement was merely a statement of opinion consent to the publication of the allegedly defamatory statement absolute privilege qualified privilege retraction of the allegedly defamatory statement. Let’s look at some of these defenses in a little more detail.

Truth

Can you see the rating scale at the top of the page on your end, 5 stars?

Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Ok thank you for reposting parts of the article. I just was not clear since I did not have time to read article in detail.

Thank you for using JA. We appreciate your business.

Attorney2
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney