I was discharged from parole in Ga in 1982. the release

states that it is ordered...
I was discharged from parole in Ga in 1982. the release states that it is ordered that all disabilities resulting from the felony conviction be removed on the day of discharge. It also says that it is further ordered that all civil and political right be restored on the date of release. Does this mean that my right to own and possess a firearm is also restored?
1/20/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. This sounds like you got First Offender treatment. Did you?

I don't know.I had several charges in three counties,but I was only arrested once and I plead guilty to all charges.
Can't afford the charge.

If you got First Offender Treatment or your matter was a juvenile felony adjudicated in juvenile court, then all of your rights, including your gun rights were restored to you as stated in the order.

If not, you would not automatically get gun rights. Although the laws from 1982 are not online anymore, the charge of being a felon in possession of a firearm did exist in 1982. So your gun rights would not have been automatically restored except per what I said in my first paragraph.

A clerk in the courthouse where your case was held should be able to look at the papers or in the computer and let you know. For that matter, if you showed the order to a DA, they could likely tell you too.

I see that you rated me as a poor expert. That's pretty uncharitable. If you don't know whether you qualified for the exception, and you were there, how can I? All I can do is raise the probability that you have rights and tell you where to check to be sure.

Have a great weekend.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney