My daughter needs to move out of her apartment. She rents…

My daughter needs to move...
My daughter needs to move out of her apartment. She rents with a roommate and the situation has become unbearable. She spoke with her landlord and they will let them leave early if they pay about $4500 each. My daughter can afford it but her roommate can’t and has said that if she can’t leave neither can my daughter. Her roommate doesn’t want her to leave. Can she, in essence, hold her hostage until the lease is up? Is there anything more we can do to get my daughter out of this situation??
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/19/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. What is going on between her and the roommate?

They have been roommates for many years. It’s been a strained relationship that my daughter has remained quiet and endured. They had an ugly blowup recently that was the final straw for Shelby (daughter). She’s been stressed over this relationship for a long time. The stress has started to take a toll on her health. She can’t sleep, has started experiencing panic attacks, just a lot of anxiety. She was recently out in Xanex to help but what she needs is to be out of that situation. She put up with the stress for so long because she felt she was stuck because of the apartment. With her health now being affected, she needs to get out of that toxic situation. Her roommate told Shelby she can’t afford to move so she (Shelby) is stuck there. Is there anything that can be done to get her out of this??

Thank you for the reply. The roommate cannot be forced to vacate/move if she wants to stay. I know it is not ideal but she can not 1) be forced to pay this money to break the lease if she does not want to or 2)move even if you were to pay this for her. She can remain. If your daughter no longer can live there, she can vacate but would still need to pay the rent. If she does not, the roommate would have to pay it all and then sue her or if she can not, they both would be used What she can try and do is find someone to sublease and move into the rental and take over her lease.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

If Shelby finds someone to sublet, does this person have to be approved by her roommate?

She needs to review her lease agreement and speak with the management. Normally, the management needs to allow it unless it is stated in the lease and if so, her roommate should not have to approve, unless it is stated in the lease. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney