My granddaughter 19 was treated for depression starting

Customer Question
My granddaughter 19 was...

My granddaughter 19 was treated for depression starting 12/1/17 - it is now 1/18/18 and she wishes to exercise her legal right to leave the hospital and they are making excuses why she can't leave. Nor does she feel normal being given ativan and respidol - what can we do to get her out - she is no danger to herself or others she is not schizo or bipolar

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New York City the hospital is New York Presbyitarian - Cornell Weill

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have not filed anything for her - she has asked many times to go home and is ignored

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/19/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and does NOT constitute legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. Was she legally committed or is she there voluntarily?

Voluntarily

If she entered voluntarily then she can check herself out voluntarily - and if they won't release her it really is a matter of getting an attorney to threaten to sue for involuntary commitment. Generally the threat of litigation works when someone doesn't have the legal ability to make decisions on someone else's behalf but is doing so anyway.

You answer my question with a question
Never mind I’ll call legal aid in the morning
Good nite!