Is it required that a written representation agreement or…

Customer Question
Is it required that...

Is it required that a written representation agreement or fee agreement be signed by a client when they work with a lawyer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I received a summons from a lawyer I was working with for an outstanding bill of $33,500. I have paid him $38000 to this point and my case was not won. I did not sign an agreement or contract when I started working with him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How should I respond to the summons

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/18/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 7 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Are you disputing the amount claimed due to not crediting payment, over charging or poor work?
I'm not sure. My case was not won, the process was dragged out over almost 3 years and I was never told how much the lawyer's time cost but was given a breakdown of charges for work carried out.
You can answer and deny the claims. You can raise in defense the absence of a signed agreement, charges and hours not identified. Often the court will mediate this issue which leads to a compromise for a reduced amount.
If lawyer made mistakes can counter sue in the answer for malpractice.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Thank you
Very welcome.
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy new year!Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.