Has the doctrine of necessaries for spouses been abolished…

Has the doctrine of...

Has the doctrine of necessaries for spouses been abolished in Tennessee?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

1/18/2018
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good morning. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today.
I need a few minutes to work on your answer
No, the doctrine of necessities has not been abolished. In Tennessee, a surviving spouse is responsible for providing for the necessaries
of his or her deceased spouse, including funeral expenses, if they are not paid by the deceased spouse's estate. The leading case is Outpatient Diagnostic Ctr. v. Christian, No. 01A01-9510-CV-00467, 1997 WL210842, at 3 n.2 (Tenn. Ct. App. Apr. 30, 1997) (No Tenn. R. App. P. 11 application filed).In 2015 the Tennessee Senate considers bill TN SB 1231 but it died in Committee and never went further.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question with stars.
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer