Im getting married in CA and I own a condo. I want to make…

Im getting married in...

Im getting married in CA and I own a condo. I want to make sure that I continue to own this place, no matter what happpens.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don’t understand your question.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, another question: am I responsible for any debt my future husband may have encurred BEFORE we get married.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

E​ven though, in general, property owned before a marriage remains the property of the party that owned it, if you REALLY want to protect yourself a prenuptial agreement that states that is the way to go. It's not "romantic" but it is practical, for sure. As for your future husband's past debt - that's his alone - but to play it safe you'd put THAT into the prenup as well. But, even if you don't, it's still his debt :) Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

And, just for future reference, if you ever need anything and want to reach me directly you can do so by clicking HERE
or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.

This question is for Olivia.
Thanks Olivia, I have another question:
IF my future husband gets sick and we have medical bills that we cannot afford would any lender be able to come after my property or my savings?
What do you mean by any “lender”?
I’m not sure in what capacity a lender would apply here…
This is for Olivia Kent:
Sorry, I meant the person or hospital ets we owe money to.