Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have received a call from the admin dept of Qbet also

I have received a...

I have received a call from the admin dept of Qbet also known online qbetting.com. They advise me that I have an account balance of $30,874 USD since 2014. I have checked my records & agree that I did open an account via a third party Sports betting trader called Brookshire. I requested a withdrawal of $1200 odd dollars back in 12/7/2014 & after many months a phone calls they disappeared & no withdrawal. The account balance then was $30874. Now the bookmaker has contacted me confirmed that Brookshire nolonger exists & If I wish to cancel the account I need to pay $5000 USD cancellation fee to release my balance by the end of the month. Otherwise the account will be closed & they will keep the money. How can I find out if this is legit or just another Scam?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NSW

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not yet by me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They say the money is sitting in their escrow account so it has been protected away from the third party trader Brookshire. Now Brookshire nolonger exist, they wish to clean up the accounts for a fixed fee of $5000 USD regardless of the balance value

1/18/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

This looks like the typical followup scam where after you lose money when one company disappears, another contacts you out of the blue and says, "We've got it. You just have to pay us for it."

First of all, what does QBetting.com have to do with Brookshires, that it supposedly has your money? QBetting.com's web registration information shows that the site's IP address traces to Russia and that they are using a private proxy service to hide the site owner information and actual location.

Secondly, if they have almost $31,000 of YOUR money, you shouldn't have to pay for them to release your balance. They can take the $5K from the $30,874 and give you the rest. The only reason for them to ask for it out of pocket is to cheat you.

Avoid.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Zoe. Brookshire Traders originally recommended I open an account with Qbetting.com. I only deposited $200 USD at the time. They then managed the account compounding the winnings over a few months. As the balance grew they use arbitrage betting to maximise the winnings hence it reached a $31k balance. then we agreed to do a nominal withdrawal. But they insisted I needed to pay tax on the $31K. I disagreed & after many months I gave up any hope of a withdrawal.
Now a few years later Qbet contact me directly. How can I verify if they are even a licensed Bookmaker? I have already asked them to pay me the balance after all expenses are taken into account. Previously that included the brookshire 20% commission. But now they don't exist. Qbet says as they are the bookmaker cannot deduct there cancellation fee against the balance, its against the law!! which law I have asked.
I probabley should just forget it!
If you know of anyone else who has recently been contacted by Qbet, I would be interested to talk to them.
Cheers
Simon

There is a Facebook thread about the Brookshire/Qbetting scam. So if you have a Facebook account, you could jump right in. I'm going to stand by my statement. Brookshire was dodgy. It disappeared. Qbetting is no better.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=377987055686600&id=254103618074945

We've had other inquiries over the last few years about Brookshire and QBet. Never heard anything good about either of them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You Zoe,
Most appreciated.
Cheers
Simon

You're very welcome!

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney