Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What is defines a "a plan" for moving me to move out of

What is defines a "a...
What is defines a "a plan" for moving me to move out of home? My wife is telling me to leave our home.
1/17/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello again :) Who indicated that a plan is required? Did someone tell your wife that?

She cannot make you leave. Only the court can make you leave. She can write as many plans as she wants to write but she can't make you leave....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In what cases can the court direct you to leave?

Unless there is a domestic violence situation and/or a restraining order you are both entitled to live in the property until a divorce occurs - and that's usually when the property is sold (or one person buys the interest of the other).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No call required at thus point

The phone call request - that's automatically sent by the site :)

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about making decisions on people who may work on our house (construction remodeling" even though I have signed a quick claim deed to her?

If you signed the property over to her, only she can make those decisions.

She can't make you leave b/c you're married and you have as much entitlement to live there as she does - but since she owns it on paper she can hire whatever contractors she wants.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
basically, I am able to live here " being the spouse" but have no say related to the "property", and only if a divorce occurs this may or manor change
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
May not*

If you transferred ownership of the property to your spouse then they own it. Sorry, I don't like to be the messenger on stuff like that... but that's what happens when a property is deeded to someone - they own it.

Why did you deed it over to her? As there some financial reason? Sometimes if the other spouse tricks you into it you can argue that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Was done for financial reasons (refinance)

Okay, I see. In that case you'd want to at least *try* to argue that it was the intention of both the parties to continue to own it jointly. It's a weak argument, I'm not going to lie, but it *can* work in the event of divorce.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there such a case where a spouse dissects a marriage piece by piece, or whittles away at it piece by piece?
I’m not sure I understand your question.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In the case of a legal separation, is marriage counseling offered our court ordered if requested
The court is very unlikely to order marriage counseling. I’ve been an attorney for over 15 years and I’ve never seen it. Mediation is different of course.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can the terms legal separation be very specific? I know also child support is ordered at that point if required
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are the terms agreed upon by both parties or court decided?

I​f the parties can't agree to the terms, THEN the court makes the determination.

B​ut most people prefer to decide amongst themselves rather than having a complete stranger decide - if possible

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Olivia, I want to thank you for your responses, is all that I have at this point.

It's my pleasure :) Please reach out any time. If you need anything and you want to reach me directly you can do so by clicking HERE
or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney