Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My mother took out a life insurance policy on me when I was…

Hi, my mother took...

Hi, my mother took out a life insurance policy on me when I was a minor. I'm 27 now, and found out she's refusing to sign the policy over to me despite the fact I'm an adult and her agreeing to over a year ago at this point. What can I do about this? I'm not comfortable with her having a policy in my name.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet, I just finished speaking with the company today, and they told me I wasn't able to do anything because she owns the policy

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thanks for helping

1/17/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear that she won't sign over the policy.

In order to have a life insurance policy on an adult (even an adult child) the policy holder must have an "insurable interest" in the person.

This does not mean love; this means that the policy holder has a financial stake if the person dies; so for example, if the parent paid for student loans, or co-signed on other obligations, the policy would be proper.

However, if there is no such insurable interest the policy would typically be voided. As such one may:

1. contact the insurance company and explain there is no insurable interest

2. file for a declaratory judgment requesting that the court order the policy holder to either transfer the policy to the insured, or to cancel coverage. If ordered to transfer, it is possible that the court may order some type of renumeration for past premiums paid, if it provides any kind of benefit today (ie whole life insurance; reduced premiums etc).

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where/how would I file a declaratory judgement?

It would normally be in the county where the other party resides or where the policy is;

one would file a "motion for declaratory judgment" asserting the facts that give rise to the request and the basis for the request;

it is a custom drafted document so normally one would hire an attorney to prepare and file/serve the request.

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer