A company/individual enters into a contract with another…

A company/individual enters into...

A company/individual enters into a contract with another company/individual in State A, both doing business/living in State A. One of the parties to the contract defaults on the contract and subsequently moves to State B. The state law in State A reads that jurisdiction of such matters exists only in the place where the civil tort occurred, e.g., if both parties did business/resided in Manhattan, KS and the contract was entered into in that same place, the case could not be tried in Kansas City, KS. One party moves operations/residence to State B, irrespective of the contract. Can the party in State A sue the party that has moved through the State B civil courts (assuming this is not a federal matter).

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

State A = California State B = Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, in Nevada.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

One party does business in several states, including Nevada.

1/17/2018
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Assuming that the contract is silent as to jurisdiction over the case (what's called a "forum selection clause") then jurisdiction over such a case would be proper in Nevada, where the person currently resides, as the person has "general contacts" that would be proper under the US Constitution. Nevada has the broadest form of "long arm jurisdiction statute" (a law that determines what types of cases can be brought in state courts) that essentially says if it's okay under the US Constitution, it's okay under state law. And for the US Constitution, you can sue someone in the state that they reside, even if nothing else happened in that state. It would be legal and proper to sue in Nevada.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

If you have any other questions, please let me know,.

if the contract states that applicable law resides in a third state, Utah?

Generally a choice of law will be enforceable, as both parties clearly agreed to that and subjected themselves to the jurisdiction of that state. Note that if both parties consent to one state (such as Nevada) then they will have waived that portion of the contract.

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney