I recently transferred title on a cemetery plot and was

Customer Question
I recently transferred title...

I recently transferred title on a cemetery plot and was charged $375 when most only charge $100-150. Since the state has a role in ttransferring titles doesn't it have a role in controlling the charges? If so how do I get them to address this egregious over charge? The WA A.G. hot line says they aren't attorneys and can't tell me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes. And they pretty much just sharedd the response of the funeral home with nothing else.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington State, Snohomish County

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have paid the fee. But before I did I asked if any one else coule transfer the title (because i was so upset at the price). They said no. But I"m not sure I believe that.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/16/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Who did you pay the $350 to?

Floral Hills Cemetary.
I was giving away the plot to a Veteran's association and the cost to transfer the title was $375. Compared to other cemeteries in the area that is more than three times as much.
Can they really charge what ever they want? I was told no one else could transfer title.
Are you still there?

Thank you for your reply. I am here, working with multiple other customers, so I do appreciate your patience.

OK. Just wanted to be sure.

Thank you for your reply.

The state does not regulate the charges from the cemetery for them processing the transfer fees. So, legally each cemetery can set their own fees without the state having any say. The only person who can transfer the title is the person whose name is ***** ***** title and the cemetery who owns the plot. So you are stuck going through the cemetery for the transfer.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thanks.

Thank you for your reply.