I got a call from Mathews, who says he’s a public defender…

I got a call from...
I got a call from John Mathews, who says he’s a public defender in Lincoln, Nebraska.
He says my son was arrested after a traffic accident: case #*****
He says he was arrested for DUI and reckless endangerment. He says my son says the other car ran a red light.
This person wants $6500 or 5000 sent in cash by fedex.
How can I verify this story?
How can I talk to my son?
1/16/2018
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

I will do a little bit of research for you. Please be patient.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Unfortunately, I think this might be a bogus request.

First, here is a list of the Public Defenders in Lancaster County, past and present: http://lancaster.ne.gov/pdefen/his_staf.htm#att

Second, each attorney practicing law in Nebraska must be licensed to do so. I checked the Nebraska government's directory on licensed attorneys and there exists no records of licensed attorneys named "John Mathews," "John Matthews," "Jon Mathews," "Jon Matthews," "Jonathan Matthews," "Jonathan Mathews," "Johnathan Matthews," or "Johnathan Mathews."

Third, most public defenders are paid by the state, county or local governments, not by individuals.

Fourth, the fact that he asked you to send $6500, or $5000 money in cash by FedEx is also quite suspicious. A $1500 discount for a cash payment seems like a lot of a discount. You can also look up the address to which they told you to send the money.

The only way to know for sure if he is actually a Public Defender is to contact the Lancaster County Public Defender's office to find out if there is an attorney there with that name. The number is 441-7631.

So again, in my opinion, based on the totality of the circumstances, this sounds like a fraud or a scam of some type.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

I see you have reviewed my answer. Do you have any additional questions? If not, a rating is required in order to close this question and give me credit for doing my job. Please do that now.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer