Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have a contract that I am wanting to get out of with a…

I have a contract...

I have a contract that I am wanting to get out of with a water softening company. The product has frozen my water pipes 3 times this winter alone and is continually leaking after they "fix it" How do I go about this

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

In Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The leaks have been reported multiple times and they've come out to fix it and it keeps happening

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all

1/16/2018
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. Does the contract have a termination provision to cancel with written notice to the company? Did you purchase or rent the water softener equipment from the company? You can terminate the contract based on the faulty and leaky equipment but you will need to follow the cancellation/termination provision in the contract, if there is one.

Hope that helps. Feel free to reply with follow up questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok great! So does it matter if it has the termination provision to cancel with written notice in the contract?

No, but if it does you should comply with the time frames and type of notice if applicable.

I recommend a Notice of termination letter and demand that they pick up the faulty equipment. If they fail to do so, you will be forced to seek legal action against them for their negligence and faulty equipment and resulting damage being caused to your home.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perfect! Thank you so much! We will follow the steps you've given us! You've been an amazing help!

You are welcome.

Please be sure to accept my responses so I get credit for my work.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

Lori
Lori, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I accept them? I did the rating for you !

It shows "accepted" -- thanks!

Lori
Lori
Lori, Attorney