Leased a used vehicle, signed the paperwork, deal was

Leased a used vehicle...

Leased a used vehicle, signed the paperwork, deal was complete, days later the company said that my trade in was undervalued and I needed to sign new paperwork increasing my payment by $220 a month or, I could return the leased vehicle and take mine back.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Texas - trade in is 2015 Lexus (leased to me by the same company 3 years ago)

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I dont think they've filed the paperwork yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The deal was brokered over email and phone- process took days to complete thank you!

1/16/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Did you sign any contracts when you leased your vehicle?

I signed all the paperwork.

So there's ZERO legal basis for them to somehow compel you to rewrite the agreement.

The very fact that they want you to come back and SIGN new paperwork means they can only hold you to new terms if you AGREE to those new terms.

if they have not filed the paperwork with the DMV yet, can they legally not make the change? Also, we didn't get a copy fo the paperwork, URGHH - I do have the Buyers Tag Receipt.
Can they repo the car? I don't have the paperwork, and don't even know where to send the payment.

They can't repo the car - there's no legal basis for it.

You could sue them if they did that.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Ok, great! Would you advise that it's best to hire an attorney at this time? Or should I wait?

I don't think it makes sense to waste money on an attorney unless you absolutely have to.

If you matter of factly tell them that you have a signed agreement and if they don't honor it you'll sue them that generally goes a long way. THEN if that doesn't work you can seek out an attorney.

www.martindale.com is a good place to find attorneys.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH OLIVIA!!! We're in NW Houston - everything & everyone is closed today due to the ice storm. The leasing company has been calling my husband and I non-stop. My husband just got off the phone with them, telling them that we have a contract, the deal is done, and we're not giving the car back. Fingers crossed.

It's my pleasure :) And if I can be of assistance in the future, you can reach me directly by clicking HERE
or asking for me directly by putting THIS QUESTION IS FOR OLIVIA before typing your question.