Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I found out that on a piece of property that is left over…

I found out that...

I found out that my name is ***** ***** a piece of property that is left over from a very messy divorce. His attorney is trying to contact me for a quit claim deed. The problem is, I suspect he has not been paying back taxes, and will try to make me responsible for paying them. He was awarded the house and property from our marriage and he foreclosed on it. Evidently he still has this separate property that we owned which was connected to the original,but is taxed separately. Do I need to protect myself even if the property was awarded to him if he neglected to pay the property taxes? My credit was ruined when he lost the house, I have worked hard to recover.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't know, I haven't responded. I am afraid.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has not been honest with me in the past, including taking my share of the settlement and putting it in an investment account without my permission or either of our attorney's knowledge. I did get it back after they pressured him to give the information. There have been other things, past taxes not paid and lying to me about it, etc.

1/16/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You wouldn't be liable personally for the property taxes if they are unpaid as they follow the land, not the person. If there are back taxes on the property that are unpaid, the taxing authority will eventually foreclose on it and force a sale of it at public auction and then use the proceeds to pay off any taxes.

.

So you aren't liable for the taxes, even if your name is ***** ***** property deed, and you can simply let them foreclose on it if he doesn't pay them.

.

But if the divorce property settlement says he gets that property, the attorney can file a motion in court for contempt of court against you if you refused to execute a deed to convey ownership to him.. But deeding over the property won't affect the taxes at all as they stay with the property..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you
Barrister, Attorney