Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Do you handle defamation/slander cases? I work for mercedes…

Customer Question
Hello - do you...

Hello - do you handle defamation/slander cases? I work for mercedes benz and a customer took a survey and called me a "transgender" he/she, which over 400 of my coworkers had access to read,

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I have spoke to HR, and a friend of mine is an attorney and he said what she wrote to a 3rd party in writing, and stated verbally to a co worker when she was picking up her car, and they didn't have it removed for 9 days after the incident

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have the survey that shows what was writen about me, if that helps

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
1/16/2018
Lawyer: Pheobe Clark, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark, Lawyer
I am sorry to hear of your situation. You would definitely have a claim against the customer for defamation of character
However, if you want to sue your employer, your employer would have had to allow the customers lies to be public to third parties. I am not sure that the business leaving the customer comments up for only employees to see, amounts to publication to a third party.
Because you informed the company of an untrue statement, and the employer allowed the untrue customer statement to remain, then the employer could be guilty of letting the offensive customer comments remain on its database IF you can prove that the comment damaged you.
I would definitely advise you to pursue defamation claims against the customer first and then the employer.
Hope I provided you adequate guidance on this subject. If I have provided you great service please reward me with a positive rating so I can get credit for
This session.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark, Lawyer