Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Georgia. None

Georgia Lawyer's Assistant: What...

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

None

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2018
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. What legal question can I assist you with this evening?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it legal for my primary care doctor to give me a drug test for illegal drugs but said it was for cbc and cholesterol? It all came back negative anyway cause i dont use drugs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
a urine test that they have always done., but the doc is new to practice.I can't afford to call you for this question.

Thank you for your reply.

While it would be very unusual for a doctor to not tell you the reason for a test, it's not actually unlawful. Many physicians will now have their patients sign consent forms that include the right to submit to blood work and other tests, especially if they believe there is reasonable cause. Additionally, if a doctor does have a reasonable belief that a patient is abusing drugs, for example, they may administer such tests without consent because they feel a patient who is abusing substances wouldn't otherwise agree.

That said, this very well could violate professional guidelines -the fact that the doctor lied to you and didn't act ethically. The recourse there though would be to file a complaint with the Georgia Medical Composite Board.

(Sorry about the phone call offer -those come automatically from the website, not me. Please feel free to ignore them if they pop up again).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you I will do that.....I tested negative for everything and I am so offended.

I can understand why you would be! I would be too. I don't think it's professional or ethical where there isn't a reasonable basis to administer such tests.

RobertJDFL, Attorney
RobertJDFL, Attorney