Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Land and liens on land in cumberland, va. how do you know…

Customer Question
Land and liens on...

Land and liens on land in cumberland, va. how do you know what is attached to land

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My mother/father inlaw owned 10 acres 2 of which they put up for collateral for the purchase of a double wide. they are both dead and before they died they put the ten acres in my brother inlays name to try to save their butts. my brother inlaw had no clue as to what they were actually doing to him or his credit. well it is about to be foreclosed on and if there is anyway i can help my brother in law save his butt i would like to do so. i went to circuit court to look up liens and came up with judgements for hospital bills and 2 liens. but would they apply to my bother inlaw if any were placed after he took over land

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Va

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The county treasure has told me about the personal property taxes and every thing but if feel I'm getting the run around because he is known to buy land that people are forclosed on. not sure if he has his eyes on the land or not.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Legal
1/15/2018
Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me try to assist. Judgment owed by your mother/father-in law (such as hospital judgments) cannot attach to real property they do not own. If the judgment was recorded against the property after title was transferred to your brother-in-law, it does not attach to the property. Some liens do attach to the property -- such as any federal tax liens or real estate tax liens.

What is your specific question regarding the personal property taxes?

Lori
Lori
Lori, Attorney