Straight to the point. I am a school teacher for Corpus

Straight to the point...

Straight to the point. I am a school teacher for Corpus Chrisit Independent School District and on New Year's Eve I was arrested for P.I. and resisting arrest. I have 60 days from January 10, 2018 to resolve the issue or I will loose my job.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, I have a copy of the Incident?Investigation Report

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment

1/14/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

What steps do I need to take so that I will not loose my job?

Are you in a teacher's union at all? Is there any thing in your employment agreement or collective bargaining agreement that prohibits actions like these?

I am part of a teacher's union, but since it did not take place during the school day, on school grounds and we were on vacation, the representative claims that there is nothing else he can do besides tell me to get a lawyer.In our employee handbook, it states that I must inform my supervisor within 3 calendar days from the arrest. I did that. Now, I have 60 days to resolve the issue or I will be terminated or asked to resign.My issue is not with the school system (yet). My concern is that I will have a criminal record. This is what I have the biggest fear of.

Can I presume this is your first offense or are there priors?

This is the first time in almost 20 years that I have gotten into trouble with the law. When I was younger I was arrested for public intoxication, but it was expunged.

I see what you mean.

So, sadly, there is going to be a criminal record, assuming you are found guilty. If you are a first time-offender (as an adult), then you will probably be able to skate with community service and perhaps a small fine. Because you are a school teacher, it is probable that they will also not send you to jail in part because there is little to be gained by sending you there.

The only trouble though is that once the court enters the order, it will follow you around. This means you will have to report this on your record indefinitely. After five years, you can request that the information be scrubbed from public record, but that may not be as much help here.

Usually, when the school districts say that they want it "resolved," it means that they reserve the right to terminate if it is not resolved in that time; however, without seeing the actual documents, I can only surmise that this is the case. You may be able to get it resolved in that length of time given the nature of this offense.

What other questions did you have for me today?

What type of lawyer should I contact?
What type of questions should I ask when determining which lawyer to choose?
I am so green at this, any information would greatly be appreciated.

You should look for a criminal defense attorney.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Here is the link for the Texas LRS - click here..

As far as the questions, I would ask, what their fee is, what can you expect from them, what should they show up for, and what the impact of this may be.

If you've received a copy of the complaint, you should show it to them as well. Sometimes, your attorney can negotiate with the prosecution such that if you plead guilty, you can get a lesser charge in exchange.

Your attorney should ask whether you have any defenses available to you, but that should be covered during the course of your interview with them as well.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Did you have any other questions for me at all?

You have been very helpful, thank you.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer