I believe I was racially profiled could I sur. Pennsylvania.

Customer Question
Second opinion] I believe...

Second opinion] I believe I was racially profiled could I sur

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No but I did contact the gas station it occurred in

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/14/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

In order for you to sue, you would need evidence to prove that you were stopped for no reason other than your race. You would have to prove that you were not committing any violation and were not, according to the law, acting in any suspicious manner such that it attracted the attention of law enforcement. So, yes, if you do have evidence that you were stopped only for your race, you can file a civil rights violation suit against the officers and department.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Yesterday morning I was on my way to work and a coworker of mine gave me a ride to Dunkin’ Donuts. The dd was inside ConocoPhillips gas station. My coworker asked to purchase a juice for him, after ordering my dd I looked around for the juice and I noticed a women watching me but I didn’t say anything then after finding the juice I went to the register to pay and it was the same woman that was watching me she told me the juice was a dollar I was paying with my card but she said in order to pay with card there was a 2 dollar limit so I said ok and walked back to where I got the juice and placed it back on the shelf grabbed my food that I already paid for and walked out. The same woman then took it upon herself to follow me out the store and rudely yelled did I take the juice? I answered no and she asked where did I put it so I said back and got in the car and left.

Thank you for your reply.

And this was only because of your race or because the clerk did not know what you did with the juice you were going to buy initially? That is what you would have to prove to the court, that this had nothing to do with the juice and everything to do with ONLY your race.

How would I go about watching the footage of the incident

Thank you for your reply.

You will not get the footage or be able to watch it unless you file suit and get the video through the discovery process in court. The footage belongs to the store so they do not have to show it to you without court orders and the only way to get court orders is have a lawsuit filed.

Ok so what should I do

Thank you for your reply.

Well, if you did bring the juice up and did not pay for it and the clerk did not see you put it back, they did have a right to ask you about the juice regardless of your race, so I would say that you may have a hard time proving your race was the only reason she confronted you about the juice. So this would be a pretty difficult case.