I am trying to recover part of a $25000.00 loan made to an…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to recover part of a $25000.00 loan made to an individual. Is this a civil suite or how do I proceed ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is complected with my wife's suicide, I do have some paper work of payments (with both parties signatures) and canceled ck from original loan. Even if I except validity of supposed payment to my wife (Which I doubt) there is still $900.00 outstanding on principal plus interest or profits on said loan.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
1/13/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
I am sorry to hear of your loss. Failure to pay a loan is a civil issue. One would need to first send a demand letter requesting payments and if that is not forthcoming, file a civil suit for breach of contract. The court will credit any payments made to either if there is proof of payment. Then issue a judgment for the outstanding amount.
This explains how to collect a judgmenthttps://www.traviscountytx.gov/justices-of-peace/jp1/collecting-judgmentSince a judgment is a public record and affects one's credit score that may serve as motivation to the defendant to pay the debt upon receipt of the demand letter.Further questions please post here otherwise kindly rate positively. Thank you.
Does the demand for payment letter need to be sent by a lawyer or by me ?
It can be sent first by the individual, and if they don't respond (they may not take it seriously) then an attorney can send it as that shows the individual has sought legal advice and is more likely to pursue litigation.