This Is a question about texting and harassment. I have

somebody who text me quite...
This Is a question about texting and harassment. I have somebody who text me quite a bit but then stops for a while since I don’t answer them. There’s no out right threats but once in a while they’re a little mean and I just keep hoping they will stop. I have not told them to stop because I leave it to their common sense and since they’re adults that they will take the hint. Is the law on my side?
1/13/2018
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist you. Yes, the law is on your side. If you know who the person is that is harassing you - you can get a restraining order. If you do not know who the person is - you can just block the texts and phone calls from the person (you can also do this even if you know who it is).

Hope that helps. Feel free to reply with any follow up questions.

Someone told me that since this is Oregon that I have to tell them to stop before anything can be enforced and I was wondering if this is correct?

No, not true. You do not have to tell them to stop. Obviously, if the texts becoming more threatening -you should immediately report it to the police and file for a restraining order (as well as block them).

Here's the OR statute:

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.065

I had already looked at the statute and can you tell me which one applies because it doesn’t seem like anything they did is on any of these letters. Another words it wasn’t physical it wasn’t a public thing it wasn’t a video of some kind of sex thing so I really need to be shown which one it is and I’m sorry for the ignorance.

1(c) Subjects another to alarm by conveying a telephonic, electronic or written threat to inflict serious physical injury on that person or to commit a felony involving the person or property of that person or any member of that person’s family, which threat reasonably would be expected to cause alarm.

But they did not subject to me or a family member to a threat of severe physical violence as it states here.

Once it escalates to that - you will be able to report crime. In the meantime, you can seek your restraining order and block the texter.

Will they know they have been blocked? And what is the process for getting a restraining order? This is something I can get without involving them correct ?

they probably will know they are blocked at some point. Does it matter?

To get a restraining order - you can file for one in civil court. After you file the complaint, the court will hold an exparte hearing (meaning that the respondent will not be present) to hear the matter.

Lori
Lori, Attorney