Is an employer required to provide ex-employees copies of…

Is an employer required...

Is an employer required to provide ex-employees copies of their timesheets after the employee is terminated?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

There was no formal written employment contract. It was a full time position.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It was a relatively short employment period; less than 6 months.

1/13/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Florida does not have a statute that requiers a former employer to release copies of timesheets to a prior employee.

If the employee has a valid reason for the request (ie wage act violations) then the employee would need to file suit for that cause of action, and then during discovery (ie subpoenas, request for production, request for admission) request that information which the employer would then be obligated to produce unless there was a basis for challenging the request (ie overbroad, irrelevant, etc).

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
If an employee kept personal copies of time sheets with specific client information on them without the employers permission, could the employer take legal action against the former employee?

I'm sorry I'm not set up for phone calls so that has been placed in the queue for the contributors that participate in that premium service.

If the information retained by the employee is deemed proprietary and is in violation of company policy then the employer may seek an injunction requiring the employee to turn over that information.

Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started