I am separated. During the marriage I bought a home and have…

I am separated....

I am separated. During the marriage I bought a home and have paid all the bills for the home since the beginning. If I want to sell the home, do I need to get permission or approval from spouse on the selling price since mortage and everything is in my name anyways? If he is going after the house I want to see it for just enough to cover the mortgage and walk away with nothing for either of us.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

1/13/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. Is the home in your name or both of your names?

my name

If the home is in your name, bought with your funds, and the mortgage is in your name you don't need your spouse's consent to do anything with the home.

thank you

It's my pleasure. If I have answered your questions, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

And if you need anything in the future and you want to reach me directly you can do so by clicking HERE
or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.