Can you write an HONEST review on sites like Yelp that will…

Can you write an HONEST...
Can you write an HONEST review on sites like Yelp that will describe a lawyers misconduct without getting sued for libel. I mean a general review with no real specifics.
1/13/2018
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Sticking to statements of opinion and true statements of fact will prevent a SUCCESSFUL lawsuit against you for libel. However, nothing can prevent you from being sued in the first place. And if you are sued, you will have to spend time and money defending against the case. There is no way to shortcut the judicial process by preemptively declaring the allegations as lacking merit. It is the purpose of the lawsuit to determine if the allegations have merit.

When you write a negative review--even one that is completely true and honest--you are attacking someone's potential ability to earn a living, so you are likely going to prompt an aggressive response. You need to weigh whether the possibility of being sued is worth the benefit to you of writing a negative review, especially if you think the attorney you're going to be writing about would be particularly inclined to sue you. Put another way, you need to base your decision on more than a technical understanding of the law. You need to consider the potential practical consequences of your actions.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further....

I appreciate your answer as it made complete sense. I was screwed over pretty bad while being lied to every other day. I guess I cant do much though. However, it isn't clear why these sites are available if you can be sued for an HONEST review?
The lawyer would have to prove that I am lying? I have a lot of proof regarding misconduct.

For many people it is worth the risk to write the review. Also, reviewing most businesses the risk of a lawsuit is going to be very low. I don't think your drycleaners, for instance, is going to pay a lawyer to sue because you falsely claim they burned your jacket. But writing a bad review about a lawyer can really damage their law practice. And being a lawyer, they are entirely capable of suing you themselves, without paying an expensive law firm to do it for them. So, suing a lawyer is a bit more risky.

The lawyer would have the burden of proving that you made false statements of fact in your review, yes.

And sorry, above it should read "writing a review about a lawyer is a bit more risky."

Okay thank you!

You are very welcome. Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....

LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer
LegalPro54
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer